Thursday, July 30, 2015

WRITE NOW - WRITING TIME - MAKE IT A PRIORITY



WRITING TIME - MAKE IT A PRIORITY


Give your writing a prominent time-slot and make writing time a daily habit like eating and sleeping.

Carve out a specific time each and every day to do nothing but write.   Yes that includes Sundays and holidays. As a writer, consider it part of your personal routine like eating and sleeping, and your body and mind will adjust to the habit.  If writing is truly your gift, then respect it and do not skimp on the time.

Choose a time of day that's best for your body to write.
When I, like many writers, had a day job, I obviously had to work around that schedule.  I write better when I first awaken, so I arose at 4 AM and wrote until 6 AM every single day.  Before food, because sugar and other food chemicals affects my thinking.  Before other responsibilities and distractions invaded my mind (with the exception of visiting the bathroom).  Even now that I'm disabled and have all day to write I'm still up between 5 and 6 AM to start early before anything (or anyone) distracts me.  The only difference now, is that if I'm on a roll I don't have to stop and go to my day job. 

Nothing but writing during Writing Time.  No eating, no emailing, no promoting, no TV, no internet surfing, no social pages, no computer games, (Yes, I know all about Mahjong in between paragraphs!), no loads of laundry, no staring out the window, no fretting over chore lists,  no perusing mail or magazines.  Just write. 

Keep mail, magazines, TVs, chore lists, food, and other distractions out of your writing area. Out of sight; out of mind. 

Try for about a page a day.  In an hour or two limited time frame, that's a reasonable goal.  It doesn't have to be perfect, editing comes later.  If you just write one page a day, in a year you'll have 365 pages of material.  Not too shabby.  Having more time, I go for about 1,000 words minimum a day when fiction writing, and one 400-500 word article every other day when non-fiction writing.  (Non-fiction requires extra time for research.)

Reserve less creative tasks for when you're less fresh.  My lunch breaks at work, and an occasional evening, were usually reserved for proofreading and editing. 

Schedule one day a week as "Editor Day."  On that day turn your undivided attention to writing business: publisher/editor emails, submissions/acceptances/payments tracking, query letters, writing skill improvement, trade periodicals, self-promotion and marketing. Keep a small notebook handy to jot down tasks for Editor Day. 

When writing is a priority on your agenda every day your content, quality, and productivity will improve. When you remove clutter and distraction from your mind, creativity floods in. 

**

2 comments: