Friday, January 15, 2016

BOOK REVIEW - HARDSCRABBLE ROAD BY GEORGE WEINSTEIN

HARDSCRABBLE ROAD By George Weinstein


BOOK REVIEW – HARDSCRABBLE ROAD   -  BY GEORGE WEINSTEIN
George Weinstein has written an extraordinary novel that placed me on Hardscrabble Road (Georgia) in the late 1930s/early 1940s.  Even though it was before I was born, I felt like I'd shared Bud's childhood. 
The story reminded me of ones my mom used to tell me about her family when she was a little girl and so I loved this book from a personal standpoint from the get-go. 

From the point of view of an editor and consummate critical reader, this novel is one of the best written books I've read in years. 
As for Mr. Weinstein's style and ability to take his reader on a journey into the center of relentless drama, decades before their time, I can with all confidence compare him to John Steinbeck. 

Well done, George Weinstein! I thought "The Caretaker" was a masterpiece (and it is!).  Hardscrabble Road is a career achievement.  I am looking forward to your next!


1 comment:

  1. Great review for a super novel, Terri. George Weinstein deserves your great accolades.

    Blaze

    ReplyDelete